Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Hoarding and Other Fun Stuff


Anyone who has known me for more than about five minutes knows that I love/need/crave change (except in my friendships/relationship, of course). I've had about every hair color on the planet and have been known to rearrange my furniture on a weekly basis. Not always a good idea since no one ever recognizes me and couches are really heavy. Lucky for the boy I live with/date, there's really only one logical place for the couch in our current apartment. I get my fix by rearranging all of the pillows. Weird.

I'm also a little bit of a hoarder, which makes changing things out pretty easy since I have like 12 of everything. Don't worry, I'm not a hoarder in a fast food wrapper/dead cats kinda way. In fact, I actually have some minimalist qualities, like, for example, I think people should really only own two pairs of pajamas and three towels. Seriously. Anything more and you're just going to end up with a pile of laundry that puts you in a bad mood or makes you feel guilty for doing something fun, like taking your grandma to the Zoo. And besides, all of those heinous bud-light pajama bottoms and ragged towels are taking up space where lots of pretty, useful, good-to-hoard things could live. Like shoes and silk scarves and old lady-ish animal broaches. You can never have enough of those things.

 I say all of this because I've been thinking a lot about changing (surprise) our apartment. And by changing, I just mean decorating it in general. We've decided we're going to stay in this building for another year (or longer) and we haven't done much in the entire year we've been here except paint our previously orange bedroom (it was that way when we moved in and it was TERRIBLE). We did buy some some chairs and a credenza and I bought some bronze cat statues, to my favorite human's dismay. But all that stuff doesn't exactly equal a great apartment.  While I really love furniture and interior design and all that mess, in some ways it makes me really anxious. I know that I don't like kitsch. I don't like black. I don't like anything too contemporary. Anything upholstered in red velvet makes me want to puke. But other than those things, I couldn't really tell you what I do like.

 I've noticed that my Pinterest is filled with all-white interiors, which seems weird since that's not what I  gravitate toward clothing wise. Does your fashion taste influence the way you decorate your home or are your styles pretty different? How do you approach interior design?

As far as my wardrobe goes, lately I've drawn to super saturated colors like these:













I just don't know if I'd want to go so far as to paint with them. While I'm really into the idea of using wallpaper (I like both this and this), I don't know if I want to bother with it since we don't own the place and I'm not sure how long we'll be here. I don't want to put work into something if, like usual, I'm going to want to change it in a week (this is what I'm trying to avoid). Where do I begin?

(Image 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)








1 comment:

  1. Love the gold wallpaper. Maybe get a lamp or a desk/table accessory in one of those bright colors instead of doing something permanent like paint.

    ReplyDelete